A while back i had a customer asking for the best practice approach for removing XenApp Presentation server, and i found myself torn. I have alot of great colleagues, friends and Guru’s in the community all talking different religions. So i started looking for a more ‘official’ guide and found a good article from Citrix they describe in detail the approach to removing or uninstalling under the following headlines:
- Uninstalling MetaFrame Presentation Server 3.0
- Uninstalling Citrix Presentation Server 4.0
- Uninstalling Citrix Presentation Server 4.5
- Manually Uninstalling Citrix Presentation Server 3.0, 4.0; and 4.5 When Add/Remove Programs and the Command Line Fail
Especially the last one is a good topic i have been in need of several times. you can read the entire article here:
But, what about CHfarm?
Alot of people like the chfarm approach to the removal of a citrix server from a farm, and what i have been able to find it is a valid option and in the notes section of the following article i also found:
3. To remove a server from a farm you should either uninstall Citrix Presentation Server or run CHFARM.
So with that in mind it seems both options are a valid way to remove a server from a farm.
CHFARM has in the later version also been improved with command line options so that it can now be performed scripted doing installation or before a reinstallation.
You can find the entire article on chfarm usage here: